[TriLUG] Anyone else able to get to cdimage.debian.org?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Jan 12 15:27:46 EST 2013

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 07:41:20 -0500, Chris Knowles said:
> Due to the nightmare that being a sysadmin and running unity has
> become... (e.g. Want to run multiple terminal sessions on multiple
> desktops? Don't left click that button.)
>
> I've started looking into other distros.

Holy cow!

apt-get install xfce xfce-goodies
apt-get install lxde

I have the same low opinion of Unity as the next guy, but unlike one
trick pony Windows (and its Windows 8 desktop), one desktop
environment does not a distro make. There are tens of excellent window
managers and desktop environments for Linux (and 'BSD).

What I do is this. Immediately upon completion of a Ubuntu
installation, I Ctrl+Alt+F2 to a tty, and then run these commands:

sudo su -
apt-get install lxde
apt-get install xfce xfce-goodies
apt-get install synaptic

The reason I install both is my opinion that Xfce is by far the best
desktop known to man, but it's sometimes glitchy. LXDE always comes
through in the clutch. With LXDE, you'll probably need to use either
xset or LXDE's mouse adjustment to set the accelleration up and the
delay before accelleration down, because for some reason LXDE has lower
mouse sensitivity than other window managers.

The reason I install synaptic is I like it a lot better than the new
"Ubuntu Software Center".

Anyway, then I go back to the GUI environment, log out, and then click
that little ball and choose "xfce session" or "lxde" instead of the
dreaded "Unity 3d" or "Unity 2d". In that way, I NEVER need to confront
Unity, ever.

There are many reasons to change distros, but Unity isn't one of them.

Thanks

SteveT

                          *  http://twitter.com/stevelitt