[TriLUG] Do Linux users have security questions?

David Matusiak dave at matusiak.org
Tue Jan 29 14:38:38 EST 2013

Hey Wesley,

The focus of my talk last year was to provide a rapid info security
overview for the audience and then show them how to gain experience with
some of the security tools/concepts via Free or Open Source Software.
Admittedly quick overviews (since I was trying to cover a broad scope), but
I talked about:

 - virtualization tools (like Xen, KVM, VirtualBox)
 - logging/SIEM tools such as AlienVault (formerly OSSIM)
 - Intrusion Detection tools like Snort, BroIDS, Suricata
 - vulnerability scanning (Nessus was formerly free, OpenVAS)
 - pen testing (metasploit, w3af)
 - forensics (Sumuri Paladin, SANS SIFT workstation)
 - encryption (TrueCrypt)
 - and other tools like Nmap, Backtrack Linux, and Security Onion

I also mentioned available attack environments (such as Web Goat, DVL,
Metasploitable) so folks could test things out without attacking legitimate
networks and systems. I made the talk available as a PDF (5.5 MB) which you
can find here: http://matusiak.org/documents/

David M.