[TriLUG] Email Problems

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Fri Feb 8 22:24:07 EST 2013

I hate feeling like I left something unfinished / unconfirmed.  RFC
5321 explicitly admits that dropping mail is permitted, but strongly
discourages it.  I'd encourage you to read the full text of section
6.2 if the topic interests you (it's pretty short).  I'll inline the
particularly relevant bit here:

-----8< snip 8<-----
As discussed in Section 7.8 and Section 7.9 below, dropping mail
without notification of the sender is permitted in practice.  However,
it is extremely dangerous and violates a long tradition and community
expectations that mail is either delivered or returned.  If silent
message-dropping is misused, it could easily undermine confidence in
the reliability of the Internet's mail systems.  So silent dropping of
messages should be considered only in those cases where there is very
high confidence that the messages are seriously fraudulent or
otherwise inappropriate.

Do let us know how your escalation w/ the ISPs goes,
Aaron S. Joyner

>>> http://www.trailblazersofnc.com
>>> http://www.steelmagnoliasgardenclub.org
>>> http://www.wendellgeek.com