[TriLUG] DNS providers: why bother? was Re: Email Problems

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Feb 13 05:10:49 EST 2013

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 21:17:37 +0000 (UTC)
Alexey Toptygin <alexeyt at freeshell.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013, Randy Barlow wrote:
>
> > This was the primary reason I switched away from using TW's DNS,
> > and one of the main reasons I would have wanted to use OpenDNS. Too
> > bad. There's always 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4… for now!
>
> Am I the only one here that runs their own recursive resolver?

No. I use djbdns, running on my daily driver desktop. MOst of the other
computers in my business and household use that computer as their
primary dns, and maybe 8.8.8.8 for the secondary.

The main reason I use djbdns instead of my ISP's DNS is so I can
resolve machines on my local LAN. Also, I build up a pretty cool cache
of URLs I use often.

SteveT