[TriLUG] DNS providers: why bother? was Re: Email Problems

Ken Mink ken.mink at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 13:32:29 EST 2013

On 2/12/13 4:17 PM, Alexey Toptygin wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013, Randy Barlow wrote:
>
>> This was the primary reason I switched away from using TW's DNS, and one
>> of the main reasons I would have wanted to use OpenDNS. Too bad. There's
>> always 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4... for now!
>
> Am I the only one here that runs their own recursive resolver? All I
> had to do was apt-get install bind9 and edit
> /etc/bind/named.conf.options to only listen on local addresses. Since
> it runs on my firewall, I only need one instance for my entire
> network, and I have dhcpd automatically tell clients to use it.
>
> Why use some third party service that does who-knows-what sort of
> shenanigans?
>
>             Alexey

I run bind9 in a master & slave configuration on my
firewall/router(Sheevaplug) and my in-home server. There's a domain for
the machines in the house and it does caching for external addresses.
I've been doing this as long as I can remember. Before broadband, I used
on-demand ppp dialup and used the caching server as a way to cut down on
traffic. Nowadays, every time folks complain about TWC DNS issues, I
just smile. As an added bonus, I've learned a lot about bind in the process.

Ken