[TriLUG] Debian on a laptop

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 15:03:06 EST 2013

There certainly isn't *that* much difference between straight Debian and
Ubuntu's modified Debian to make any difference.  It's probably comparable
to learning Windows XP vs. Windows Vista, if that.  All the package
management tools are the same.  Anyways you're better off learning Linux on
Ubuntu because it's easier to use than (arguably) all the other distros.
 Not like you aren't going to have grunge around about something sometime,
as it *is* Linux, but with Ubuntu you will suffer the least getting
started.  Lubuntu will make you suffer slightly more than straight Ubuntu
with the Unity desktop, but Lubuntu LDXE performs so much better than Unity
that it's worth it.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every