[TriLUG] OT: Diagnosting APC Back-UPS Misbehavior

Thomas Gardner tmg at pobox.com
Mon Mar 18 18:10:32 EDT 2013

Sorry to be all tardy to the party.  Believe it or not, I think this
is the closest I've come to being caught up on my mail since before
Christmas.  :-)

Anyway, thought I'd throw my $0.02 in, in case this hasn't been
settled yet (didn't see a resolution post from the OP).  I had a UPS
that I knew was OK before I took it out of service for about a month
or so.  When it finally came time to put it back in service, after
plugging everything back in and turning it on, it squealed and gave me
the dead battery light.  Since I really didn't need it right away, I
just turned it off (to stop the squealing) but left it plugged in for
a few days (not powering anything, of course) hoping the battery was
just discharged a bit, and leaving it plugged in might fix that.  Sho'
'nuff, when I turned it back on a few days later, it worked fine.

Hope this helps someone.

L8r,
tg.