[TriLUG] mail storage - was "Database Software"

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Fri Apr 12 13:19:42 EDT 2013

> Here are four articles from the rather long February 2012 Linux
> Productivity Magazine, which discuss my displeasure with Kmail in
> particular, and KDE in general:

> Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
> Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance

I can't imagine that those four articles are going to win you much
troubleshooting business.

Faced with similar "I'm gonna eat your data" scenarios, I simply find a
new place to keep my data.  For example, I keep my archived email in a
local Maildir and I share it via dovecot IMAP server.  Now I can connect
*any* client (even KMail, or Outlook) and I can search and move and copy
as much as I want.

Secondly, when faced with a major conversion like this, it's a good idea
to take a backup of the affected data.  It's very possible that you'll
need it soon.  It sounds like you did that, but were unwilling to
restore the Maildir folders and switch to another mail client.  And
before you know it, KMail had held you hostage for 6 years.

--
# Alan Porter