[TriLUG] Database Software

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Apr 12 12:59:11 EDT 2013

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 08:45:18 -0400 (EDT)
Jack Hill <jackhill at jackhill.us> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Apr 2013, Steve Litt wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 13:27:36 -0400 (EDT)
> > Jack Hill <jackhill at jackhill.us> wrote:
> >
> >> I don't know anything about Approach, but for a "Desktop" database
> >> application, I have heard good things about Kexi
> >> <http://www.calligra.org/kexi/>. It might have more bloat than the
> >> sqlite wrappers.
> >
> > kexi sounds great, but I'm judiciously keeping all KDE libraries
> > off my computers. Anyone know of something similar not depending on
> > KDE libraries?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > SteveT
>
> Out of curiosity (especially since I don't do much C++/Qt
> programming), what don't you like about the KDE platform? (Or are you
> just trying to cut down on duplicated features?)

Hi Jack,

It's not that I dislike KDE, it's that I *hate* KDE.

Here are four articles from the rather long February 2012 Linux
Productivity Magazine, which discuss my displeasure with Kmail in
particular, and KDE in general:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/lpm/201202/201202.htm#_editors_desk

http://www.troubleshooters.com/lpm/201202/201202.htm#_My_First_Escape_Attempt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/lpm/201202/201202.htm#_Steve_You_Sound_Angry

http://www.troubleshooters.com/lpm/201202/201202.htm#_Escape_From_Kmail

About 2 or 3 months after completing that magazine, I removed the last
KDE library from my computer, and made a no-KDE policy at
Troubleshooters.Com. I'm an elder in the Church of Supreme Modularity,
and we believe KDE is the ultimate blasphemy (with Gnome not all that
far behind, by the way).

I'm well aware that some people use KDE day in and day out with no
issues. But between 2001 and 2012 I had rampaging problems, first on
Mandrake/Mandriva 2001-2006, then on Ubuntu 2006-2012. It seems to be
at least somewhat distro-dependent. But that's the whole point, isn't
it? Do I really want my choice of distro to be determined by which
distro does the best job of taming KDE?

To summarize:

A ko na di left my life
Ne po muck gives no more strife