[TriLUG] Database Software

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Apr 12 20:43:46 EDT 2013

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 12:50:36 -0400 (EDT)
Jack Hill <jackhill at jackhill.us> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Apr 2013, William Sutton wrote:
>
> > Steve posted his frustration with Kmail last year; I suspect that's
> > why he's sworn off KDE:
> >
> > http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/Week-of-Mon-20120109/065103.html
> >
> > William Sutton
>
> Ah. I don't use KMail. I've been a long time alpine user and have
> recently switched parts of my work flow to Claws-Mail because if it's
> better, more native openPGP support. When I get time (email is just
> so important it's hard to schedule "downtime") I plan to switch to
> notmuch <http://notmuchmail.org/>.
>
> Dislike of KMail doesn't really tell my why he avoids all libraries
> associated with KDE (I use many KDE libraries (built without
> semantic-desktop support) without having any of the PIM suite
> installed). If it is just some sort of emotional reaction to things
> under the same umbrella that's fine, but it means that I can continue
> to use them without feeling bad.

Hi Jack,

A lot of it is emotional reation to stuff under the same umbrella, so
in that regard you're safe, always assuming you're not employed at
Troubleshooters.Com :-)

A lot of people read my opinion of KDE and say "what? KDE has never
malfunctioned for me!" If it doesn't malfunction for someone, there's
no issue for that person.

To me, the deeper issue is KDE's belief that all apps should be tied to
each other. Everything depends on everything else.

Thanks,

SteveT