[TriLUG] TWC BC periodic internet disconnections

David Burton ncdave4life at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 17:07:50 EDT 2013

> *Power cycling the Ubee modem fixes our problem as well.*

Hopefully it won't come to this, but...

About 11 years ago, when I had flakey DirecTV/Telocity DSL service (before
Time-Warner pulled fiber through my neighborhood), I built this device
(controlled via a parallel printer port) to power-cycle the DSL
modem/gateway (which used an 8v DC power brick):
http://www.burtonsys.com/rebooter.gif

I ran a script that periodically checked whether the Internet connection
was working.  If not, it would poke the parallel port with 0x86 to cut the
power to the modem/gateway for 30 seconds, then poke the port with 0x00 to
turn the power back on again.  Here's a photo:
http://www.burtonsys.com/rebooter1.jpg
(My device is the little black plastic box with the green LED.)

It worked well.

Dave