[TriLUG] At&t's Uverse comments needed.

Chris Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Sun Apr 14 20:30:14 EDT 2013

FWIW, I run my server at home using UVerse.  Mail, web and media server.
No problems thus far...though IIRC, I did need to call tech support and
escalate to a higher level to get them to turn off blocking on port 25.

Otherwise, everything is fine. Outgoing speed is higher than we could
get on our TWC/BC connection at work...that we pay 4x as much for.
:>

Chris

On 4/14/2013 7:10 PM, James Jones wrote:
> All,
>
> Many moons ago, my first high-speed internet connection  was
> Bellsouth.net (DSL). Since I used Linux even back then - ( Red Hat -
> before Fedora ), I was warned not to mention Linux when trying to get
> bellsouth support on a internet problem.
>
> My connection with bellsouth.net didn't last a year. It ended with a
> customer support person refusing to escalate my problem to the next
> level. I was so frustrated with bellsouth support that I was willing
> to return to dial-up.
>
> After a short period of dialup, I returned to High speed with
> DirectDSL, then intrex.net when DirectDsl cease operation, and now --
> with Time Warner Business class.
>
> It's cost reduction time. Doing away with TWBC, putting all my server
> activity in a Amazon Instance, but internet connectivity is still need
> at home.
>
> I have subscribed to AT&T's Uverse. Installation is next week.
>
> In preparation for that big day, I began reading some of AT&T's
> material about Uverse. Now I am wondering if they haven't progressed
> much above the days of my bellsouth.net DSL. Their pdf, "AT&T Internet
> System Requirements ", gives requirements for windows 7, Vista, Xp,
> and Mac --- no mention of requirements for RedHat, Fedora, Ubuntu,
> etc. --- not  even recognition of Linux as a possible system!!
>
> Any Linux using Uverse internet ??? comments??
>
> I have subscribed to the internet/tv bundle. Comments on the tv bundle
> will be a plus for me.

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Web Performance: Website Load Testing Software & Services