[TriLUG] Palmer for another SC term; proposed amendment to the bylaws

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Thu Apr 25 09:10:38 EDT 2013

I have been thinking about this one since the subject came up yesterday.

> (Aaron Joyner) So... I'm a bit mixed on the Anti-Harassment policy[1]

This is pretty much my position on it too.  I don't see lack of an
harassment policy being the cause of insufficient gender diversity, but
rather more like what was described in an earlier post about the need for
outreach.

I wouldn't oppose having a policy, if that is what the group decides but I
don't see it as beneficial either.

Instead of a harassment policy, I would rather see a simple, generalized
statement, to the effect of it being a goal to create a welcoming
environment for everyone.  In other words, "don't be a tool".  In my view,
having an anti-harassment policy written into the bylaws is a form of
negativism that takes us down the road of needing moderators (police)
which I think has become a real problem in our society in general,
creating an environment where we (collectively) can't act like and deal
with things like professional adults and instead require some external
authority to act on our behalf.