[TriLUG] Palmer for another SC term; proposed amendment to the bylaws

Matthew Frazier leafstormrush at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 11:08:00 EDT 2013

In my opinion, the key issue with regards to "gender imbalance" in technology is:

Technology is cool, fun, and a great way to learn and/or make a living. (Obviously, the instantaneous fun level of technology varies, but overall it's a great field of endeavor.) And the whole point of TriLUG is to share the coolness/funness/practicalness of tech with other people. So if a person (*any* person) is interested in technology, we shouldn't be maintaining any artificial barriers that could keep them out.

I know a woman who occasionally hangs out with the LUG @ NC State, and she says that the overall (perceived) attitude of TriLUG towards women is the main reason she doesn't attend TriLUG events, even though they tend to be more slanted to her interests than those at NC State. So, there is definitely at least one barrier out there. And while an anti-harassment policy isn't a magic bullet for getting rid of that barrier, it would at least serve to point us in the right direction.

From a more practical view: I doubt an anti-harassment policy would constrain the freedom of expression of TriLUG members in any substantial way. I've attended probably a dozen TriLUG talks, and I've never seen anything from the front of the room that would contradict this policy (the worst I've heard overall is a few mild profanities). And I think everyone does agree that harassment isn't appropriate for TriLUG events. Considering that adopting this policy would open us up for sponsorship from Caktus, and other groups in the open source world with similar policies (such as the Python Software Foundation), I don't think there's a real downside.

Thanks,
Matthew Frazier
http://leafstorm.us/