[TriLUG] Palmer for another SC term; proposed amendment to the bylaws

Cristóbal Palmer cmp at cmpalmer.org
Fri Apr 26 11:02:00 EDT 2013

On Friday, April 26, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Peter Neilson wrote:

> Here's a totally different perspective, as related by my wife

Peter,

Two things here. One is that the gaming article I link in my blog post discusses the problem of pointing to a particular woman who does not see a problem. I hope you read that background, but if not, you should.

That link is here (mildly NSFW): http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/06/misogyny-sexism-and-why-rps-isnt-shutting-up/

Secondly, I'll quote myself from a discussion that was had in Steering:

With all due respect to your wife, did she read my blog post and the background material? Does she have a background in such policies that is relevant to that judgement? I'd like to emphasize that I'm not trying to discount her lived experience as a woman who has undoubtedly had relevant experiences. I am, however, saying that it is problematic to point to any particular woman and have her be a stand-in for all women unless she has decided to take on that role. Even if she wants to take on that role, I would want to evaluate the claims made in light of the ample evidence from other women that suggests that such policies are both necessary for some sizable subset of the group and helpful/empowering for those who don't feel they are necessary.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal Palmer

cmpalmer.org