[TriLUG] More data [Was: Palmer for another SC term; proposed amendment to the bylaws]

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Apr 30 21:34:33 EDT 2013

On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 23:48:00 -0400
Cristóbal Palmer <cmp at cmpalmer.org> wrote:

> I wanted to share a 2006 research paper on the role of gender in
> F/LOSS communities that was shared with me via Twitter today. I
> recommend at least reading the executive summary and reviewing the
> figures.
>
> PDF link:
> http://www.flosspols.org/deliverables/FLOSSPOLS-D16-Gender_Integrated_Report_of_Findings.pdf
>
> Please note especially figures 3 and 4, which are on pages 21 and 22,
> respectively.
>
> Here's figure 4 pulled out:
> https://twitter.com/ashedryden/status/328997919493599233

Hi Cristóbal,

I fully agree that an anti-harassment policy is a very good thing, but
I think this article hurts the cause because, at least in my opinion,
this article has an agenda and therefore lacks credibility.

Throughout this article is the implication "Bad Men!", even going so
far as to place blame our having beards, and even going so far as to
blame the bazaar method of software development that's been working so
well for a couple decades.

Personally, I don't think it's the responsibility of any LUG to cure the
underrepresentation of women in tech, open source or Linux. I see the
main LUG responsibility as to provide a comfortable environment for its
members and prospective members of all types, and that's what the
anti-harassment policy can and should do.

I'd also like to point out that this has sharpened to a discussion of
women in LUGs, but an anti-harassment policy can be of help to
*anybody*, because you never know when some antisocial nutjob will
decide that he doesn't like Person X, and make it his business to drive
Person X out of the LUG. The policy can prevent that.

Thanks,

SteveT