[TriLUG] The biggest deterrent for women in tech

David Both dboth at millennium-technology.com
Wed May 1 07:24:13 EDT 2013

I suspect that, like many other areas of life, parental support means more than
anything else.

My son is a CPA and financial analyst. My daughter is a PhD and head of the
Masters in Counseling program (not school, mental health) at her school. Neither
got particularly good high school counseling. My nephew is an engineer and one
of my nieces is working on a masters in speech pathology. My other niece just
got accepted to the engineering program at Georgia Tech. All needed math skills
and my daughter needed and still needs the rigors of the scientific method.

Unfortunately my daughter was steered away from math and science in her high
school. I always told her she could do anything she wanted to do and she
believed me.

My non-scientific observation from watching all of these kids grow up is that
parenting made the most difference.