[TriLUG] The biggest deterrent for women in tech

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Wed May 1 09:49:51 EDT 2013

 >I always told her she could do anything she wanted to do and she believed me.

The sad truth is that learning math is a function of time and number of problems solved. I will not go so far to say that all are equal in math skills, but in rasing 5 children, I can say I spent/spend alot of time proving to them that they can do math, but it takes time and effort on their part. I was always above average in math, but even in the higher engineering courses, I had to work at it and solve many problems. I would say I solved at least twice as many problems that the course gave out as homework.

No one can tell me that our genetic population distribution is worse at math than China or India. They just put more time into math and therefore have better math skills. I find it funny and sad that my kids actually think Asians are smarter than them, but I point out it is not that they are smarter, they just have a harder work ethic than you. And once I start asking them about their Asian friends life, they agree, they work harder. This is a cultural difference. Studies have shown that Americans spend much less time on studies than Asian Cultures.