No subject

Sun Jun 2 12:36:39 EDT 2013

PCMCIA card that uses a coax or dual-input connection to an external
antenna. They are more expensive, but are more versatile and allow the use
of custom/shielded antennas that can be purchased or tailor made for your
environment.

A good illustration is an Orinoco Gold Card with the Orinoco PCI adapter and
a pigtail to connect an external hi-band antenna.
Shop http://www.fab-corp.com/ for more ideas.

You should also read the information
http://alan.clegg.com/802/802_mapping.html and plan your security
accordingly, unless you want to share your Internet connection with the
world.

Jaimie

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Tower [mailto:jason at cerient.net]
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 12:56 AM
To: trilug at trilug.org
Subject: [TriLUG] desktop wireless NIC

question for all you wireless folks out there: if you needed to set up a
desktop PC with a wireless connection, would you use a PCI card or USB
adapter?  any particular make/model?  thanks in advance -

jason
TriLUG Organizational FAQ:

------_=_NextPart_001_01C29188.04FE4E30

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: [TriLUG] desktop wireless NIC</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I've used the Netgear USB adapters in my home. At =
first, I was attaching it directly to the built in USB ports provided =
on the PC, but ran into issues when I tried to use my USB scanner. =
Installing a separate PCI/USB adapter and using it for the Wireless =
adapter took care of my problem, but YMMV.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>From experimentation and research, I suggest a PCI =
adapter for a wireless PCMCIA card that uses a coax or dual-input =
connection to an external antenna. They are more expensive, but are =
more versatile and allow the use of custom/shielded antennas that can =
be purchased or tailor made for your environment.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>A good illustration is an Orinoco Gold Card with the =
Orinoco PCI adapter and a pigtail to connect an external hi-band =
antenna.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Shop <A HREF=3D"http://www.fab-corp.com/" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.fab-corp.com/</A> for more ideas.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>You should also read the information <A =
HREF=3D"http://alan.clegg.com/802/802_mapping.html" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://alan.clegg.com/802/802_mapping.html</A> and =
plan your security accordingly, unless you want to share your Internet =
connection with the world.</FONT></P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Jaimie</FONT>
</P>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>From: Jason Tower [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:jason at cerient.net">mailto:jason at cerient.net</A>] </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 12:56 AM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>To: trilug at trilug.org</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Subject: [TriLUG] desktop wireless NIC</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>question for all you wireless folks out there: if you =
needed to set up a </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>desktop PC with a wireless connection, would you use =
a PCI card or USB </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>adapter?  any particular make/model?  =
thanks in advance -</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>jason</FONT>
<BR><FONT =
SIZE=3D2>_______________________________________________</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>TriLUG mailing list</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>    <A =
HREF=3D"http://www.trilug.org/mailman/listinfo/trilug" =

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>TriLUG Organizational FAQ:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>    <A =
HREF=3D"http://www.trilug.org/~lovelace/faq/TriLUG-faq.html" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.trilug.org/~lovelace/faq/TriLUG-faq.html</A=
></FONT>