[TriLUG] Newbie linux question

Jeremy Davis jeremydavis at jeremydavis.biz
Sat Jul 6 00:33:11 EDT 2013

It sounds like you were looking for Linux Mint, which is also based on
Ubuntu. Linux Mint's efforts to provide and preserve the Gnome 2 experience
has helped it stay at the the top of the distrowatch.com list for a long
time now. Cinnamon and Mate desktop environments are optional with Linux
Mint and both are very much like Gnome 2. Mate is a fork of Gnome 2,
Cinnamon is Gnome 3 customized to look and feel like Gnome 2. There were
hiccups at first when Gnome 2 support went away and Cinnamon was born,
however, Cinnamon is pretty solid today.

If you are looking for something that just works

13 Maya Ubuntu Precise Long term support release (LTS), supported until
April 2017 with the Cinnamon desktop.

http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php

Jeremy