[TriLUG] Soon-to-be new RasPi owner (DC power requirements)

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Mon Jul 8 11:08:20 EDT 2013

On 07/08/2013 12:10 AM, Brian wrote:
> Hi Gang,
>
> Just polling the list for personal Raspberry Pi anecdotes; I've got a
> Model B on order (plus a 10" capacitive touchscreen kit from
> chalk-elec.com) that I'm planning to use for a home automation
> project, and wanted to hear about peoples' experiences/troubles/cool
> projects.
Let's talk about troubles for a minute. I think one hazard that has
tricked and bothered a number of Pi users has to do with DC power
requirements.

My experience, and that of everybody I know, is with the model B, which
for a long time has come with 1/2gb of RAM and so uses the most DC power
of the three basic flavors (current B, original B, model A, in my
estimated order of power consumption from highest to lowest). All that
follows is about the current model B.

An easy trap is to think a small power supply like a cell phone charger
will run both the RPI and USB peripherals. If it's a 1/2 amp charger, it
may not even reliably run the board itself. At one amp it will power the
board and may run most flavors of USB keyboard and mouse. Adding an
unpowered hub and a 3rd item is likely to overtax the power supply. When
it's oversubscribed the power supply can do a few different things, but
the overall effect is failure to boot at all, failure to complete
booting,  or random misbehavior later that may cause a person to become
superstitious ("Don't buy WIFI Dongle X", or "If you run program Q while
doing this and standing on your left foot it causes the operating system
to crash" or "This [existing/new] USB thing I added is defective and I'm
taking it back to the store".)

Some peripherals really suck current. WIFI dongles and external USB hard
drivers of the "portable backup" variety can use a lot of current. I
found that a two ampere power supply was not sufficient to run a
keyboard, mouse, Seagate 2 1/2" backup drive, and WIFI dongle reliably.
This of course became evident in the middle of a demo while teaching a
class at TechShop (Murphy: we can always count on you!)  These days I
use a used three ampere powered USB hub I got very cheap from Intrex
along with a one amp supply to power the RPI. However most of you would
find a two amp hub and one amp board power supply sufficient. I'm just
finishing wiring up a three amp supply to try out with an unpowered hub.

-Pete