[TriLUG] Soon-to-be new RasPi owner

R Radford rradford at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 8 12:49:05 EDT 2013

You may be very disappointed with the quality of the USB webcams attached
to the RPi.  I tried several and either they did not have adequate
contrast, or too grainy.  Part of the issue is that if you attempt to run
the webcams at high resolution, the USB on the RPi seems to hang.  I was
hoping to use one for the live video feed on the nearspace balloon, but
ended up giving up and using a standard Nikon Coolpix camera attached via
USB and use it to take a photo every 10-15 seconds.

The RPi camera is much better quality than the USB webcams I tested, but I
would definitely not put it in the camp of a high quality video streaming
device.

If you do find a camera that works well, please post here as I would love
to hear about it.