[TriLUG] Any 3D printers to rent in the Triangle area?

Brian Henning bhenning at pineinst.com
Tue Jul 9 10:19:46 EDT 2013

Mike,

What kind of build quality do you need?  Is your project something that
could be done with hobbyist-level 3D printing or do you need industrial
quality/size?

I, and I'm sure others of our esteemed TriLUG colleagues, own a MakerBot
Thing-O-Matic.  It's a little fussy sometimes but I've printed plenty of
useful doodads for myself.  Its print volume is roughly a cube four inches
(10cm) on a side.  If that kind of machine would meet your requirements, I'd
be happy to print an object for you for little more than material cost (say,
$0.25/gm by weight).  This does assume that you have the widget already
designed in a CAD package capable of exporting to .stl format.

Otherwise yeah, you're definitely looking at a fairly stiff price tag.  Back
when we had a TechShop, they wanted $50 per cubic inch (which I thought was
a silly way to price, as volume has only the smallest connection to actual
material usage).

Best of luck!
~Brian