[TriLUG] Using my second router as repeater

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Jul 17 09:44:28 EDT 2013

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:

> It sounds like what you're looking for is support for WDS.

I could never get WDS to work. Instead I have a/g waps all over the place like
this, all running openwrt.

wap connected to ethernet:

               ______
192.168.1.x  |      |
ethernet-----|      |SSIDa=Joe_high 172.17.2.1
              |______|
                SSIDg
              =Joe_low
              (I may not have
               this one)

remote waps:

               ______
              |      |
              |      |client to Joe_high 172.17.2.x
              |______|
                SSIDg
              =Joe_low

The remote waps only connect to the outside world via 802.11a. There's no
ethernet cable. You just need 120V and a spot to plunk the wap down. These waps
get their IP from the wap that's connected to the ethernet.

802.11g clients all see the same SSID and get their dhcp from a box on the
ethernet.

The networking/routing, getting packets back to the 802.11g clients, was a bit
tricky. Bill had to help me with it, but once I saw what to do, it turned out to
be only basic networking 101. I needed to add routes to 172.17.2.x on the boxes
on the ethernet. (There may be one more layer of IP networks than I've depicted.
It was a while ago now, it works, and I've forgotten the details of how I set it
up. Sorry).

Joe