[TriLUG] Best appliance for Linux firewall?

bak bak at picklefactory.org
Sat Aug 10 15:58:49 EDT 2013

On Aug 10, 2013, at 12:05 PM, Sean Alexandre <sean at alexan.org> wrote:

> I've been experimenting with this. I haven't found my ideal setup yet, though.
> Right now I'm running an Intel Atom box (2 cores) with 2 NICs on board, and
> a PCI card with 2 more NICs (for a WAN, LAN, and DMZ.) It's more than powerful
> enough, but consumes about 100w of power. I'd like to find something smaller,
> that uses more like 30w (similar to a small home router.)
>
> Ideally I'd like to find a box that:
> * Runs Debian with no binary blobs.
> * Has 3 NICs
> * Wireless
> * Low power
> * Low noise (no fans)

Soekris 5501?

It's x86, so Debian should be easy enough.  Says it draws 20W.

http://soekris.com/products/net5501.html

I've had an Atom D525 for a couple years and it's never drawn more than 60W according to my kill-a-watt. I think the CPU draws <20W even when busy. Have you got some full-height 10k drives in there or something? :)

--bak