[TriLUG] Best appliance for Linux firewall?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Aug 10 16:33:50 EDT 2013

On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 15:58:49 -0400
bak <bak at picklefactory.org> wrote:

> On Aug 10, 2013, at 12:05 PM, Sean Alexandre <sean at alexan.org> wrote:
> >
> > I've been experimenting with this. I haven't found my ideal setup
> > yet, though. Right now I'm running an Intel Atom box (2 cores) with
> > 2 NICs on board, and a PCI card with 2 more NICs (for a WAN, LAN,
> > and DMZ.) It's more than powerful enough, but consumes about 100w
> > of power. I'd like to find something smaller, that uses more like
> > 30w (similar to a small home router.)
> >
> > Ideally I'd like to find a box that:
> > * Runs Debian with no binary blobs.
> > * Has 3 NICs
> > * Wireless
> > * Low power
> > * Low noise (no fans)
>
> Soekris 5501?
>
> It's x86, so Debian should be easy enough.  Says it draws 20W.
>
> http://soekris.com/products/net5501.html

I was salivating over that until I added up all their nickel and diming:

* HD mounting kit
* HD
* USB->serial adapt laptop to act as serial console
* Case
* Power supply

I'm also wondering exactly how I'd install OpenBSD on it without a
CDROM drive -- I know how to thumb-driveize Ubuntu, but OpenBSD might
be a different matter.

But yeah, that looks really tempting, especially considering it would
replace a full size desktop running 24/7, it's got to pay for itself in
a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks,

SteveT