[TriLUG] Best appliance for Linux firewall?

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Sat Aug 10 22:59:05 EDT 2013

Caution when using the RPi for routing: while USB 2.0 is fast enough for 100 Mbit Ethernet, it is not for gigabit. WiFi is also somewhat spotty with the tiny adapters typically used with the RPi. Check out the output of wavemon and just plain ping/mtr for how well it can perform.

I believe TP-Link has some type of fairly robust router I remember seeing at Intrex. It did not have WiFi but had dual WAN's and a gigabit switch.

Also, routers that run OpenWRT would be very nice for this.

Igor