[TriLUG] Best appliance for Linux firewall?

Sean Alexandre sean at alexan.org
Sun Aug 11 05:28:37 EDT 2013

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 10:36:03PM -0400, Magnus wrote:
> Raspberry Pi with 1 on-board NIC, use a managed switch, and use 802.1q VLAN
> tagging will do it. USB WiFi if you need that. Talk about low power and zero
> noise! And it runs Debian. I'm half tempted to shut my Raspberry Pi down and
> plug it into the Kill-A-Watt to show what a low amount of current it draws.

Yes, the the Raspberry Pi looks pretty awesome and I've wanted to try one out.
What's holding me back right now is it requires binary blobs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#Driver_API

I expect there will be (or are already?) single board computers that run 100% free
software (drivers, boot loader, etc.)

My interest comes from a couple projects I've been following, that are trying
to build routers / home servers that are 100% free, and based on Debian:

FreedomBox
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedombox

Torrouter
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/Torouter