[TriLUG] Late night IPv6

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Thu Aug 22 09:41:37 EDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 9:30 AM, Igor Partola <igor at igorpartola.com> wrote:
> Your clients might not be configured via sysctl to accept router advertisements
> via accept_ra option, though this is unlikely.

Not likely. The clients were happily doing ipv6 before the router
upgrade.  One of them still had an ipv6 lease from the pre-upgraded
raouter and could ping6.

> Additionally, it is possible that there is a firewall issue and the ICMPv6 packets are

I had the same thought last night, so I disabled the firewall on the
router and restarted my laptop's networking.  Still nothing.

> not making it to your clients. Install radvd on a client machine and use the radvdump

I will try radvdump tonight. I can't ssh into my home network for some
strange reason :-)

> Another thing to check is what interface the router advertises on. It is possible,
> though not likely that it is doing it on the wrong one.

Could be.  Time to break out Wireshark for some packet inspection !
If only work could be this much fun !

Bill