[TriLUG] OT: Logitech Harmony Remotes

Andrew Stephenson tendonut at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 14:17:55 EDT 2013

I have a Harmony 880 myself. I've had it for maybe 4 years.  Great remote
overall and the software is rather intuitive. Be warned though, I've had
plenty of people who just can't wrap their minds around how it works, so as
soon as the TV clicks on, they put the remote down so the IR commands don't
get sent to my set top box, Xbox, or audio receiver. This is more or less
user education of course. It just gets me really frustrated when they start
badmouthing the remote when the TV and other components fall out of sync.

Now, there is a serious design flaw with the charging dock that Logitech
won't do anything about. The leads on the back of the remote rest on two
springy metal leads on the dock. After about 3 months, those leads on the
dock lose their springy-ness. I was on dock #3 before Logitech stopped
sending me replacements. I was able to keep using my most recent one by
taking it apart and cramming cardboard under the contact spring to make it
more rigid, then use rubber bands to hold the remote on the dock. Its held
up ever since.