[TriLUG] Cert Question

Chris Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Thu Sep 12 08:44:56 EDT 2013

On 9/12/2013 8:34 AM, Tim Jowers wrote:
> In an ideal world, people would see you have an engineering degree and
> realize you could design the systems, not only use them; but, its not an

In an ideal world, people with engineering degrees would have
engineering skills.

In my experience, an engineering degree offers no guarantee of actual
engineering skill.  Out of 5 people I've hired here, 3 had engineering
degrees and 2 started in engineering/CS degrees but did not finish. Only
one of the engineers had skills on par with the 2 non-degreed.  Three of
those with degrees (some had considerable experience) were somewhat
disappointing in their abilities (and no longer work here).

As someone with a degree from one of the top engineering programs in
the country, I can assure you that many of those that graduated with me
had only book knowledge and no practical experience in applying it. Nearly
all of my practical experience (pre-degree) came outside the classroom.
That's a major fail on the part of our educational system, IMO.

Chris

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Web Performance: Website Load Testing Software & Services