[TriLUG] Looking for Hierarchical Data Documenting Tool

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at att.net
Wed Sep 18 09:57:17 EDT 2013

Hello TriLUGers,

I'm working on a project where we need to analyze a bunch of binary data
files that are organized hierarchically in nested directories.  I'd like
to find a utility app that will, with a minimum of additional work,
generate a navigable, visual "map" of these files in HTML format.

I have tools that can parse metadata from these files, but nothing that
displays their organizational structure at this point.

The program that comes closest to doing this that I know of is Doxygen.
The graphs that it creates using Graphviz and dot would be particularly
useful.  I could use Doxygen for this purpose, but there is no source
code to document.  I would have to generate hundreds of stub files
containing pseudo-source code documentation in order to make it work.

Another option would be to write scripts to do this from scratch, but
I'm wondering if someone knows a quicker way to get there.

I've read that DocBook is a good general purpose stuff documenter, but
after examining it for twenty minutes earlier today I had a very vague
idea of what it does.  I did not see a way to use it to build hierarchy
graphs either...  But could easily have missed it in my brief search.

Thanks for any ideas!

   Scott C.

--
Scott Chilcote