[TriLUG] tool to report on used bandwidth

porter porter at trilug.org
Wed Sep 18 14:10:17 EDT 2013

I have a friend in India who posed a question to me, and I'm going to
forward it to the collective TriLUG mind for more insight.

He is interested in monitoring his home bandwidth usage, with detailed
statistics on what's using the bandwidth.  For example, 2GB from
YouTube,
and so on.

In his case, he has a broadband connection that starts throttling after
he hits 9GB of transfer per month.  He would like to be able to monitor
(1) how much he has used and (2) where he used it.

He suspects that one of his machines at home may be infected with
malware
that is using some of his quota.  Knowing the destination addresses (or
even source addresses) might help track this down.

My assumptions:
  - There are multiple machines (laptops, tablets) on his home network.
  - He is running at least one Windows machine, which may be infected.
  - He has a Linux-based router, or he can insert a Linux box at the
    appropriate place in the network to do this measurement.

He says that he has tried using Ethereal/Wireshark, but that was like
drinking from the firehose (I am also guessing that if he's running it
on the Windows box, it might not report the malware traffic).

So I plan to suggest using a Linux box as a router, or a Linux-based
router, and then using a package that monitors connections and network
usage.  The question is... what would be a good tool for measuring
this?

Alan