[TriLUG] OT: Anyone Have A Roku?

John Mitchell john280z at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 17:00:33 EDT 2013

Well, it's marked Off Topic and a Roku runs Linux, I'll reply to list.
(john suits up)

I have a Roku 1 ( the original, round corner, square top/bottom, nine
button remote - hard wired to router). ( I'm on TWC)
The newer Roku's may not have these problems/issues, I don't know.
   On Netflix it is a wonderful device. After I first connected to netflix,
spouse grabbed (old style) controller and was able to search, look at and
do anything she wanted to try. She is not a geek. I was impressed with the
Roku/Netflix integration. The response to button presses was very quick. I
use hardly any other channels, it is a device to watch a movie or TV series.
It seems to have connection problems (to Netflix) in the last year or so
but I think that is not the Roku's fault.(worse on Sunday night). At some
point I ran out of material that I wanted to watch on Netflix so.........
   About 1 year later I tried Amazon Prime - in less you are looking for a
specific Movie/TV showtitle, I find it's impossible to browse the Amazon
Prime catalog using Roku. ( I don't find that Amazon Prime is any better
trying to find something using a web browser on a PC).
   Am now using Hulu Plus. Well, it works. The lag from a button press till
I see a response is about six seconds, on a good night, if I hit the button
several times it gets totally lost. I use a web browser to load my cache
but there are some movies that will not stream to the Roku (PC only?).
   The Roku forums are a good source of information, it's where I found to
try removing unused channels to free up memory which helped Hulu somewhat.

If anyone has a newer Roku with no or different info, i would also like to
hear - are the newer (more memory) models better?

john mitchell