[TriLUG] OT: Anyone Have A Roku?

Aaron Thomas at at pirate96.com
Fri Oct 4 17:20:59 EDT 2013

I have had at least one Roku box in the house since 2008. We just found
the original box as we were debating selling it as I have no need for
three.

We purchased a Roku 3 and have been very pleased with it. It does have a
USB port and you can supposedly play some local media. I do use the
Android app to play pictures etc from the tablet or phone. I have not
gotten to the point of setting up the MythTV backend, but I know there
is an app for the Roku to act as the front end.

Generally we are streaming movies from Netflix and Amazon and that is
where the adaptive bit rate streaming really shines. Also I like the
easy access to the TWIT network. It is really nice to have the 802.11 A
radio in the new Roku as it is less congested.

Have looked at the Chromecast and still see no reason to abandon the
Roku. There is virtually an unlimited enertainment device. Now If I
could just figure out a viable alternative to TWC for internet access.

Aaron