[TriLUG] attaching to remote X session (_not_ VNC)

Kevin Hunter Kesling hunteke at earlham.edu
Tue Dec 3 17:39:49 EST 2013

At 11:22am -0500 Tue, 03 Dec 2013, Alan Porter wrote:
> I think what you're looking for is "x11vnc", which is a different
> beast than plain old VNC.

For as long as my Unix memory goes (the days of Valhalla and FBSD 4.2, I
think), VNC has always been useful to me as a 'screen for X', even
allowing graphical access from Windows without Xwin32.  However, it is a
separate X session from what I would have open already, and still not
nearly so responsive as NX, or the ol' comparison to RDP.  Consequently,
x11vnc is a sexy solution for quick-and-dirty operations, and not a tool
of which I was aware: thank you for it.

By the powers of xpra and x11vnc combined I have the kind of
functionality for which I'm hunting.  It's still not perfect, but it's
pert near close -- as Brian pointed out, "good enough is the enemy of best".

Thanks!

Kevin