[TriLUG] best home router for voip prioritization

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Fri Dec 27 11:23:59 EST 2013

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Dewey Hylton <plug at hyltown.com> wrote:
> my initial thought was to just build her a little openbsd firewall on the alix platform (these see a lot of use at my customer sites) and

You will have to decide what you are willing to support:
 A) initial high equipment cost for alix and switch, but with a
familiar openbsd environment
 B) low equipment cost OpenWRT router and unfamiliar OS environment

> ethernet requirements:
>  1 desktop computer
>  1 desktop printer
>  1 rpi
>  1 ip phone base station
>  1 uplink to the cable modem

I have been deploying $45 TP-Link TL-WR1043ND routers running OpenWRT
to family members on the other side of the world. I have had some
issues with wifi until I disabled the auto channel feature. This unit
has 4x LAN ports and 1x WAN port, which fits your requirement. I have
installed "Attitude Adjustment 12.09" (OS version) onto TL-WR1043ND
hardware versions v1.8, v1.9, and v1.11 without problems.

OpenWRT does do QOS but I have not messed with it yet.

Bill