[TriLUG] OT: Blown Insulation (was: webcam on a stick?)

Brian lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Thu Jan 2 10:34:00 EST 2014

Joe, thanks for such an informative post.  My home's attic is also full
of blown-in insulation, and DIYer that I am, I'd love to know the safest
way to protect myself from that junk.

Is there an easy way to determine what kind it is, either this cellulose
stuff you mention or fiberglass?  The house was built in 1971, but I
have no idea if this insulation was installed then.

Should I go to the trouble/expense of having it [professionally] removed
and replaced with batted insulation?  There's a layer of batted
insulation laid atop much of it, actually.

Thanks,
~Brian