[TriLUG] OT: Blown Insulation (was: webcam on a stick?)

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Jan 2 11:06:41 EST 2014

On Thu, 2 Jan 2014, Brian wrote:

> Joe, thanks for such an informative post.  My home's attic is also full of
> blown-in insulation, and DIYer that I am, I'd love to know the safest way to
> protect myself from that junk.

My attic is cross members with what I assume is the sheet rock of the ceilings
below under the cross memebers. Above it is piles of fluffy pink and grey soft
stuff, which I assume is cellulose. There are no plywood sheets to hold this
stuff down. To get around the attic I walk on the edges of the 2*6 lumber, while
holding onto the roof 2*6 with my hand. When I come down the ladder, I always
have the insulation stuck to my shoes/pants, which I vacuum off with the
shopvac. I don't like it at all even if it is only cellulose.

> Is there an easy way to determine what kind it is, either this cellulose
> stuff you mention or fiberglass?  The house was built in 1971, but I have no
> idea if this insulation was installed then.

cellulose is soft, like skeins of knitting wool. All the mineral and glass stuff
is stiff. The fibres break easily and have sharp ends. You need to wear gloves
when handling it as the needles get into your skin and some needles work their
way through to your blood stream. If you've ever handled glass wool, you'll
remember your fingers tingling for days afterwards. Long spools of fibreglass
like is used for surfboards or fibreglass panels, has a smaller number of ends.
Still fibres will always be getting broken. Having sharp ends, the bits that get
into your lungs can never get out.

> Should I go to the trouble/expense of having it [professionally] removed and
> replaced with batted insulation?  There's a layer of batted insulation laid
> atop much of it, actually.

I'd just leave it alone. Removing it and stirring everything up will spread the
small fibres everywhere. I assume it was put in when the house was made and
before it was sealed up. Much of the small stuff is in the garden or under
carpets and paint now.

Joe