[TriLUG] January TA3M in Durham: 30C3 on Censorship and Surveillance Circumvention

Sean Alexandre sean at alexan.org
Thu Jan 2 14:20:43 EST 2014

You're invited to the December Techno-Activism Third Mondays (TA3M) in Durham!
TA3M is an informal meetup designed to connect software creators and activists
who are interested in censorship, surveillance, and open technology. The event
takes place in different cities around the globe every third Monday of the
month.

WHAT: TA3M in Durham [1,2]
WHEN: Monday January 20th from 7pm 'till 9pm
WHERE: SplatSpace [3]
TOPIC: 30C3 [4,5] on Censorship and Surveillance Circumvention

This month we'll take a look at highlights from the recent Chaos Communication
Congress (30C3) in Hamburg, Germany, with a focus on talks about censorship and
surveillance circumvention.  This will be an open round-table discussion as
much as anything. There will also be slides to give an overview of what was
presented. We'll look at any or all of these talks, depending on what folks are
interested in:

TALK: Opening Event [6,7]
SPEAKER: Tim Pritlove
TOPIC: Welcome, and a call to reinvent the Net

TALK: Keynote [8,9]
SPEAKER: Glenn Greenwald
TOPIC: His experience with Snowden leaks and current status

TALK: The Tor Network -- We're living in interesting times [10,11]
SPEAKERS: Jacob Appelbaum & Roger Dingledine
TOPIC: Contemporary Tor Network issues related to censorship, security, privacy and anonymity online

TALK: The Internet (Doesn't) Need Another Security Guide -- Creating Internet Privacy and Security Resources That Don't Suck [12,13]
SPEAKER: Eva Galprin from the EFF
TOPIC: Overview of available online security guides and resources

TALK: Sysadmins of the world, unite! [14,15]
SPEAKERS: Julian Assange, Sarah Harrison, and Jacob Appelbaum
TOPIC: Call for sys admins to become whistle blowers

TALK: Through a PRISM, Darkly -- Everything we know about NSA spying [16,17]
SPEAKER: EFF attorney Kurt Opsahl
TOPIC: Overview of what's known about NSA programs, and laws and regulations the U.S. government asserts allows the NSA to spy on you

TALK: To Protect And Infect, Part 2 -- The militarization of the Internet [18,19]
SPEAKER: Jacob Appelbaum
TOPIC: Presentation based on the recent Der Spiegel articles on NSA spying [20,21,22]

TALK: Concepts for global TSCM -- getting out of surveillance state mode [23,24]
SPEAKER: Andy Müller-Maguhn
TOPIC: Summarizes the big picture on global surveillance and asks what we can do about it

[1] https://wiki.openitp.org/events:techno-activism_3rd_mondays
[2] https://wiki.openitp.org/events:techno-activism_3rd_mondays:durham
[3] http://splatspace.org/location/
[4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_Communication_Congress