[TriLUG] Laptop Backpacks...

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Thu Jan 9 10:45:54 EST 2014

I have recently discovered the military and military-style gear and it's
fantastic. The Molle system means that you can keep adding pockets,
pouches, etc. I don't use this for a laptop bag, but I actually put
together a diaper bag to pack everything I need for my two daughters when I
am on the go. You can really geek out with the organizational aspects of
this since you can easily have one pocket per item or item type.

>From my research, there really are two types of gear that you can look
into. The first is meant for actual deployment, the stuff people in the
military take with them when they might go into combat. These bags are not
just built with all the bells and whistles of the Molle system, but they
include such details as zippers guaranteed to never get stuck. Things like
this, I imagine, are very important when you are getting shot at and you
need to get something into or out of your bag. The 5.11 Tactical gear seems
to be of this caliber.

The second type, are things that are near-military quality, but not quite
there. This is the category I went for as the price is almost half of what
it is for the top notch gear. I can deal with a zipper that might get stuck
one out of a 100 times I use it (the stuff I got has zippers that are still
better than anything I've seen on any bag or article of clothing). Brands
like Condor and Maxpedition seem to be in this category.

Most of this stuff can be bought on Amazon. I now have the manliest diaper
bag I have seen and it's very easy to use even though I carry over two
dozen different types of items (babies need lots of stuff as it turns out).
When it's time for me to look for a laptop bag I will definitely be buying
one of these.

Igor