[TriLUG] [OT] Strange Beep from Back-UPS XS 1200

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Wed Jan 22 10:32:40 EST 2014

Scott,

You always have the option to knock the device out with a small EMP :)

As for the smoke detectors, I am a big fan of First Alert Onelink (
http://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-SCO501CN-3ST-SCO500-Combination/dp/B000EVO7C2for
example). They create a mesh network so they don't have to be
hard-wired, and use voice to wake you up and tell you exactly where the
smoke/fire is. The combination smoke/CO detector will even tell you the
concentration of CO. When the batteries are dying they will tell you
something like "Replace battery in living room". For my money it's worth it
to get these over the traditional ones, especially if you don't want to add
wiring. I had to do this in two houses now since the requirements have
changed since the houses were last re-wired and now you must have a
detector in every bedroom and in every common area, plus at least one CO
detector on every floor.

Igor