[TriLUG] Earthlink as ISP

Hrivnak, Michael mhrivnak at hrivnak.org
Thu Jan 23 23:57:31 EST 2014

I've seen a lot of grumbling recently about Time Warner's ISP pricing, so I
thought I'd share another option. It's always nice to save a little money.

Earthlink's website has historically done a terrible job of providing
accurate information about what service is available at your address and
for what price. Sure enough, the prices on their website now are $10/month
higher than what they quote over the phone or even by live chat.

In Raleigh, I just signed up for 15x1 residential cable modem service for
$29.95/mo for 6 months, then $41.95/mo. Cable modem is included. No
contract. It's the same service as Time Warner, it's installed by Time
Warner, and you get billed by Time Warner. But it's a cheaper monthly rate,
and they provide a free cable modem.

I've had this same pricing from Earthlink at my previous address for over 6
years. The price stayed the same, but the service got faster at least
twice. I hear that Time Warner likes to do the opposite.

You can also apparently get 20x1 for $39.90/mo for 6 months, then 51.90/mo.

As a bonus, when the live chat person asked "and the operation system of
your computer, is it Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 or Mac?", and I responded
"Ubuntu 13.10", there were no questions or further discussion. It was
business as usual.

It's been a good experience for me, and maybe this will help some of you
save a few bucks.

Michael