[TriLUG] is anyone using MythTV as a DVR?

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 14:56:40 EST 2014

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 2:37 PM, Bill Farrow <bill at arrowsreach.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 1:18 PM, Greg Brown <gwbrown1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm sick to death of the interface and serious lack of functionality of my
>> DVR.  Not to mention lack of space.  MythTV on a Linux box with a big 'ol
>> fat disk looks like a good option.  If anyone using one?  Would you
>> recommend MythTV?
>
> I've been using MythTV continuously for about 8 years. It can be a
> pain to setup, but the rewards are worth it. My wife now complains
> about having to watch commercials at other peoples places :-)

Me too since 2006 when I started with a Knoppix release.  I'm also
still using NTSC and ancient Hauppauge encoders so my hard drive
requirements are not  too crazy.  I also use a mini keyboard as the
remote.  It takes a little learning, but now my sweetie knows more
about it than I do.  I have a server base and any Linux (my household
uses little else) laptop can be used as a frontend.  I used to have a
G4 Mac for a frontend as well... probably can still compile what you
need on a modern Mac.

Commercial auto-skip completely spoils us.

sean