[TriLUG] open ports on Uverse 2wire gateway

James Jones jc.jones at tuftux.com
Sat Jan 25 22:45:15 EST 2014

Brian and all

I may not have made it clear.

Most of you have not connected security metrics which is a "leading
provider and innovator in merchant data security and compliance for
businesses worldwide". It is their site that scans the ip address
given as our IP address for any openings, no matter whether actual
usage of not. Also, one of ports is seen by Security Metrics as a
server, a server with a possible fault. The business is not knowingly
running any servers.

My thought was if I close the ports then security faults would not
exist and Security Metrics would be happy. Am I wrong?

With the computer system powered down, Security metrics still sees
open ports and a server with a fault. Does that mean that the Uverse
Gateway is at fault.

Doesn't most routers have a small server for external communication??
I have more questions than answers.

If I put a router between the PC and the Gateway with router firewall
enabled would the presence of the open ports indicate that the Uverse
box is the problem??

On windows XP, How can I determine if there is truly something on
their system that is running a server?

Their Windows XP is also running Norton security as their firewall.

jc -- out of my league -- jones KK4VUS