[TriLUG] debugging fonts

porter porter at trilug.org
Mon Feb 3 18:15:05 EST 2014

I have an X11 application that I use at $WORK that is almost impossible
to read because of the poor choice of fonts.  The application runs on a
server and the display is on my local desktop.  The X11 display is
forwarded to my local desktop through my SSH session.

That is:
me at desk$ ssh -X me at server
me at server$ application &

I am trying to figure out how I can debug the fonts.  I've tried
setting the FC_DEBUG environment variable to 1, but it did not emit any
debug info.  I tried running the application under strace and then I
looked for something font-related in the flood of output, but I am not
sure what to look for.  I suspect this X11 app was written with ancient
tools (motif?), and I know that these sorts of plumbing systems tend to
change every few years, so that might throw a few more permutations into
my debug mix.

Making matters a little more confusing, I am not sure if I should be
concentrating on the server or on my local desktop machine.  I keep
thinking there should be some way to find out which fonts the
application is looking for, and I could create a file like
$HOME/.fonts.conf (on the server) and change the bad font to a better
one.

Ideas?

Alan