[TriLUG] Radio Shack: was Old Dog In Need of New Trick - Digital TV Recording

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Mon Feb 10 10:47:45 EST 2014

On 2/7/14 9:58 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> I'll bet you that right there, in Raleigh, is some little hole in the
> wall place that sells electronic parts cheap. Ask around at a local
> DeVry: Those students know where to get the parts they need cheap.
Unfortunately, they closed about 10 years ago. Roberts Electronics *WAS*
the place most wanted to be. Mr. Roberts was retiring and was trying to
find a buyer. At the time I was dumb and said "eh, someone will pick it
up". They didn't, he liquidated and is gone. Now we are stuck with
internet sales and Radio SLack. I've checked with repair shops and such
and they say they don't have a local distributor anymore since Roberts
went out of business.

With that said, the Radio SLack in Cary Crossroads is the Wake county
"Hub" and thereby are the largest store. They have a good number of
parts and kits. However, I still have to order stuff online for some of
my projects. It does help there is a manager there that is a ham, so
when I call and ask if they have something, he or one of his employees
actually goes and looks for it!

I don't hate Radio SLack but I am disappointed in what they have become...

-Roy