[TriLUG] Radio Shack: was Old Dog In Need of New Trick - Digital TV Recording

Brian lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Mon Feb 10 11:17:24 EST 2014

On 2/10/2014 10:47 AM, Roy Vestal wrote:
> I don't hate Radio SLack but I am disappointed in what they have become...

Granted I'm *only* 34, but I could wire 100-in-1 project boards before I
could tie my shoes, and I definitely hate RadioShack.  There was a time,
during my lifetime, when they were *acceptable,* but their markups on
loose components have always been ri-dang-diculous.  Their move toward
hiring folks that wouldn't know an alligator clip if it bit their arm
off hasn't helped.

I still give them my business when I need something fast, and I'm
pleased to see their steps toward more DIY electronics, with Arduino kit
and whatnot, but they have a long way to go to earn anything resembling
respect from me.  That said, I'd love to see them cover that ground and
become a worthy local source for components.  They'll have to stop
charging $1.99 for a single ordinary 5mm LED to get there, though.

<rant mode off>
~Brian