[TriLUG] VirtualBox Problems

Brian McCullough bdmc at buadh-brath.com
Fri Feb 21 12:12:03 EST 2014

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 09:17:05AM -0500, Ken MacKenzie wrote:
> Virtualbox's ease of install and setup as well as its ability to make
> instances portable is why I generally opt for it as well.  However VMware
> does offer performance level advantages need to be considered.  The biggest
> difference between the two is VMWare is Hypervisor level 1 and VBox is
> level 2.  In certain applications the bare metal virtualization will be
> preferred and offer a performance advantage.  In my case that advantage
> does not out weigh the perks of VBox at this point.

I consider the two types as two completely different worlds.

I use Xen ( and KVM and VMWare ) for a full-time server application.

I use VBox when I need to spin up a quick test machine, or a Windows
machine for a particular application for a short time.

I have Xen ( and the others ) on my server machines, VBox on my laptops.

They each have their uses.

Brian