[TriLUG] TWC "Existing Customer Promotion"

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Thu Mar 13 14:20:17 EDT 2014

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 1:13 PM, John Vaughters <jvaughters04 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I work for utilites and TWC cable is nothing close to the definition of a Utility.
> This is reserved for businesses for which competition cannot easily occur.

The natural monopoly due to high infrastructure costs is not an
essential part of being a utility. Wikipedia defines it as "an
organization that maintains the infrastructure for a public service".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_utility

In Australia you can choose to buy your electricity from a number of
different electricity retailers. There is only a single set of poles
and lines, and these are run as a utility. The retailers and power
generators (coal, gas, solar, hydro, etc) compete for your consumer
dollar.

Bill